Share “AP Interview: Ex-hostage shares Philippine...”

AP Interview: Ex-hostage shares Philippine ordeal

Associated Press Modified: May 23, 2012 at 6:16 am •  Published: May 23, 2012
Advertisement

SUNGAI BULOH, Malaysia (AP) — A Malaysian wildlife trader held captive by suspected Abu Sayyaf militants for a year in the southern Philippines says he saw group members as young as 15 skilled in using M16 rifles that were prevalent in the impoverished region.

Nazarrudin Saidin's account in an interview with The Associated Press gives a rare glimpse into the operations of the al-Qaida-linked militant group, blamed for many ransom kidnappings, bomb attacks and beheadings over more than two decades.

It also details an ordeal that started in May of last year when masked gunmen abducted Nazarrudin on the Philippine island of Jolo, moving him to hideouts on other islands over the following 12 months. He escaped at one point and hid in a mangrove, only to return to his kidnappers out of hunger — "I felt like I was on the verge of dying." He finally escaped to safety two weeks ago.

"I saw teenagers as young as 15 walking around in the villages with M16 rifles and pistols," Nazarrudin said in a small, run-down home just north of Kuala Lumpur, where he lives with his wife, six children and parents near a palm oil plantation.

"Sometimes they practiced shooting in the jungle and seemed skillful in handling the weapons," he said, adding that he believed they were Abu Sayyaf members.

A 2011 U.N. report said other former Abu Sayyaf captives also have reported children in the group's ranks, but that the claims "could not be verified owing to security constraints." Photographs and TV footage taken inside Abu Sayyaf camps have appeared to confirm the presence of armed teenagers.

Abu Sayyaf has not commented publicly on child soldiers, but other militant Muslim groups in the Philippines have described a policy of admitting youths as young as 15 as trainees, while requiring them to be 18 before engaging in combat.

Abu Sayyaf's stated goal is a separate Islamic state in the south of the mainly Catholic Philippines, though its fighters from impoverished villages are attracted more by ransom money than ideology.

U.S.-backed military strikes have weakened the group, which now numbers about 400 by military estimates, but it's still considered a threat to regional security and is currently suspected in the kidnapping of a former Australian soldier and a Japanese.

Nazarrudin said he saw only light weapons and machetes among his captors. He was mainly held indoors and did not know who the Abu Sayyaf leaders were. Nazarrudin said he rarely saw regular villagers, but his captivity for long stretches in various places indicated the militants still had the tacit support of communities in the region.

"I told them many times that I am not a rich man but they wanted money. They said they are poor and oppressed by their government but (I believe) as Muslims, they shouldn't do such things," he said.

The Abu Sayyaf raised $704,000 in 11 kidnappings in 2010 and killed six Filipino hostages whose families failed to pay a bounty, according to a government threat assessment obtained by The AP last year.

Continue reading this story on the...