AP Source: Davis next Eagles defensive coordinator
Sean McDermott replaced Johnson, but was fired after the 2010 season. Castillo made the unusual move from offensive line coach to defensive coordinator in 2011, but lasted 22 games.
Davis' defenses struggled in his two years in San Francisco. The 49ers finished third-worst in points allowed and last in yards allowed in 2005. They were last in points and 26th in yards in 2006.
Davis had slightly better defenses in Arizona. The Cardinals finished 14th in points allowed and 20th in yards allowed in 2009. They were 30th in points and 29th in yards in 2010.
The Eagles are coming off a 4-12 season, and have missed the playoffs the past two years. They allowed 444 points last season.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister