AP Source: Liverpool agrees fee for Coutinho
LONDON (AP) — Brazil playmaker Philippe Coutinho is close to joining Liverpool after a transfer fee was agreed to by the English Premier League club with Inter Milan.
The deal will cost Liverpool €10 million ($13.5 million), a person familiar with the situation said on Saturday. He spoke on condition of anonymity to confirm reports about the deal because it was yet to be completed.
The 20-year-old Coutinho will meet with Liverpool to agree on personal terms, complete a medical examination and apply for a British work permit.
Coutinho would become Liverpool's second arrival of the January transfer window following the signing of England striker Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea for 12 million pounds (about $19 million).
The transfer window closes on Thursday until the end of the season.
Liverpool is seventh in the Premier League, seven points behind fourth place and the last Champions League qualification place.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 22453Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12179Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10764Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9050Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8838Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8708Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8233Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister