AP source: Obama poised to pick Perez for Labor
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is close to naming Thomas Perez, a civil rights official in the Justice Department, as his choice to head the Department of Labor, two people familiar with the process say.
His nomination could come as early as Monday, the people familiar with the process said Saturday. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak prior to the official announcement.
If confirmed, Perez would replace Hilda Solis, who resigned in January.
White House spokesman Matt Lehrich declined to comment.
Perez, 51, has led the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division since 2009 and previously served as Maryland's labor secretary. He is expected to have solid support from organized labor as well as the Hispanic community, which is eager to have representation in Obama's second-term Cabinet.
Solis was the first Hispanic woman to head an agency at the Cabinet level. Perez was the first Latino elected to the Montgomery County Council in Maryland, where he served from 2002 to 2006.
Perez would come to the Labor Department as Obama pushes a major immigration overhaul, which could include changes in how employers hire guest workers. Labor Department officials have also taken a prominent role in supporting Obama's effort to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $9 an hour.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 39102Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15291Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9778Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9437Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9040Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7843Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7624Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister