AP source: Phillies agree to 1-year deal

Published on NewsOK Modified: December 12, 2013 at 2:20 pm •  Published: December 12, 2013
Advertisement
;

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The Philadelphia Phillies kept their aces and added another starter.

A person familiar with the deal told The Associated Press on Thursday that right-hander Roberto Hernandez and Phillies agreed to a one-year contract. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because an agreement has not been completed and the player must pass a physical.

The 33-year-old Hernandez was formerly known as Fausto Carmona. He was arrested in January 2012 on charges of falsifying his identity that were later dropped. Major League Baseball suspended him for three weeks.

Last year, he was 6-13 with a 4.89 ERA for Tampa Bay, and he is 59-82 with a 4.67 ERA over eight seasons overall, seven with the Cleveland Indians.

Hernandez gives the Phillies depth on their staff. He is expected to compete for one of two spots in their rotation.

General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. made the move on the final day of baseball's winter meetings. The Phillies also selected right-hander Kevin Munson from Arizona in the Rule 5 draft.

Among the top rumors earlier in the week were reports that Amaro was shopping Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels along with closer Jonathan Papelbon and All-Star outfielder Domonic Brown.



Trending Now


AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    Sex Valley: Tech's booming prostitution trade
  2. 2
    Colorado Is Consuming Way More Pot Than Anyone Ever Believed
  3. 3
    What Dan Gilbert said to LeBron James to get him to return to Cleveland
  4. 4
    Female Yahoo Exec Sued By a Female Employee for Sexual Harassment
  5. 5
    A company wants you to experiment on Facebook — by quitting
+ show more