AP Source: Phillies get Michael Young from Rangers
In Philadelphia, Young's versatility will allow manager Charlie Manuel to rest first baseman Ryan Howard and second baseman Chase Utley occasionally. Kevin Frandsen, who batted .338 in 195 at-bats for the Phillies last year, would start at third base when Young moves around. Freddy Galvis also could be used as a late-inning defensive replacement for Young at third.
"Lets be real Philly nation this is one hell of a pickup!" Frandsen wrote on Twitter.
The Phillies hope Young is a one-year stopgap until prospect Cody Asche is ready. Asche batted .324 with 12 homers and 72 RBIs last year for Single-A Clearwater and Double-A Reading.
The Phillies, coming off an 81-81 season after five straight NL East titles, got a regular center fielder on Thursday when they acquired Ben Revere from Minnesota for pitchers Vance Worley and Trevor May.
Now they have crossed third base off their to-do list. General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. still hopes to find a right-handed hitting outfielder with power, a No. 4 or No. 5 starter, and a setup reliever.
Lindblom was 3-5 with a 3.55 ERA in 74 games for the Dodgers and Phillies. He allowed 13 homers in 71 innings. Bonilla was 3-2 with a 1.55 ERA and four saves in 31 relief appearances for Clearwater and Reading.
Follow Rob Maaddi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RobMaaddi
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 15646Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9491Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8139Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 7219Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6377Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6374Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit