AP Source: Ramirez positive test for testosterone
Ryan Braun's test, which was overturned in a grievance, was not included because it did not lead to discipline.
There were 11 positive tests for banned stimulants, two of which led to 25-game suspensions for Carlos and Ryan Adams. The other nine were for initial positive tests, which result in follow-up testing but not suspensions.
Ten of the stimulant positives were caused by Adderall and the other by amphetamine.
The report showed MLB granted 116 therapeutic use exemptions to treat attention deficit disorder in the past year, up 11 from last year and the most since the sport started releasing statistics in 2008. There were 25 new TUEs, down from 28 in 2011, and 91 holdovers. The exact substances allowed under the TUEs are not specified.
ADHD drugs were the overwhelming majority of the 119 exemptions granted, according to Friday's annual report by Dr. Jeffrey M. Anderson, baseball's new IPA. There were two for hypertension and one for hypogonadism.
Dr. Gary Wadler, former head of the World Anti-Doping Agency's committee that considers which substances should be banned, has for several years criticized baseball for its total of ADHD exemptions. The sport says its experts maintain the condition is more frequent in young adult males than among the general population.
Anderson, who replaced Dr. Bryan Smith, said there were 1,181 blood tests in baseball's first year of checks for human growth hormone. No positives were reported. There also were 3,955 urine tests for drugs, an increase of 87 tests.
Baseball does not break out how many of the tests were during the offseason.
Each player was given a blood test for HGH during spring training as part of the labor contract that was agreed to a year ago, which allows blood testing during the offseason and spring training, and if there is reasonable cause. Players and management are discussing whether to expand HGH testing.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 22176Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12149Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10702Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8951Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8805Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8651Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8107Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister