Bozalis and Roloff, the state's oldest continuous practice of architecture, is celebrating its 77th anniversary.
But for a septuagenarian, the firm unlike most 77-year-old humans is not suffering from age.
Bozalis and Roloff designed the $60 million Leadership Square office complex, the latest in two decades of projects, including the Myriad Convention Center, that have helped transform the face of downtown.
The firm was founded by Leonard H. Bailey in 1905. A graduate of the London Polytechnic Institute, Bailey emigrated to the United States and headed west to Indian Territory, settling in Oklahoma City in 1903.
Bailey became a junior partner to a fellow Englishman, William Mathews, who was designing the historic Overholser Mansion.
In 1907, Bailey opened his own office. Many of his designs became landmarks: the Masonic Lodge Building, now the Journal-Record Building, N Robinson and NW 6, 1925; the 10-story Kinkade and Lawrence Hotels, on Sheridan Avenue, south of where the Mid-America Tower now stands, from their completion in 1911 until they were demolished by the Urban Renewal Authority in 1969; Wesley Methodist Church, NW 25 and Classen, 1929; and the Army Chapel at Fort Sill, 1933.
In 1934 Bailey organized an association of several Oklahoma City architects to master plan the entire downtown area.
In World War II, Bailey supervised the design and development of the Naval Technical Training Base and the Naval Air Stations (north and south bases) in Norman, as well as the Army Air Base in Clinton.
John Bozalis joined Leonard Bailey in the spring of 1946, and the firm became known as Bailey and Bozalis.
Their projects included five Naval Reserve Training Centers throughout the state, the Petroleum Engineering Building at the University of Oklahoma and the Naval Ammunition Depot at McAlester.
The architectural group changed its name again in 1953 after Glenn D. Dickinson and Robert B. Roloff became partners. Bailey retired from active practice in 1957 at age 77.
The firm of Bailey, Bozalis, Dickinson, Roloff designed the "Golden Dome" of the Citizens National Bank, NW 23 and Classen, which attracted international attention.
The bank was completed in 1958, the same year as other major BBDR projects: Petroleum Club Building, now the Globe-Life Center; the Sequoyah and Will Rogers State Office Buildings and the underground facilities between them, and Fountainhead and Arrowhead State Parks.
Bailey died in 1962 at age 82. Two years later, the firm was known as Bozalis, Dickinson, Roloff the name that went on the blueprints for the $23 million Myriad Convention Center.
Other projects designed or completed during the 1960s and early 1970s included the Citizens Tower Office Building, the Pioneer Theater-Auditorium-Convention Center in Reno, Nev., and the Thermal Systems Central Cooling and Heating Plant for downtown Oklahoma City.
The Myriad Convention Center was completed in 1972, the year that Glenn Dickinson retired and the firm's name was changed for the third time to its present Bozalis and Roloff.
Robert S. Kerr Park, with its fountains and greenery marking the area between Liberty Tower and the Kerr-McGee Center, top the list of recent Bozalis and Roloff projects. That list also would cite major additions to the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation; new facilities for the office of the state chief medical examiner; Presbyterian Professional Building; Oklahoma Allergy Clinic, and television studios and offices for Blair Broadcasting Co. BIOG: NAME:Archive ID: 82902