Share “Ardmore police officer's pepper spray goes...”

Ardmore police officer's pepper spray goes off in restaurant

An Ardmore police officer's pepper spray accidentally went off Thursday afternoon at a Mexican restaurant in the southern Oklahoma town, police reported.
FROM STAFF REPORTS Modified: December 12, 2013 at 6:39 pm •  Published: December 12, 2013

— Patrons at a local Mexican restaurant got a little bit more spice than they expected Thursday afternoon.

An Ardmore police officer was eating lunch at a restaurant on N Commerce Street when his pepper spray canister malfunctioned and went off, Ardmore police Sgt. Ryan Hunnicutt said.

The Ardmore Fire Department responded to the incident to ventilate the area and paramedics were called to help patrons affected by the spray, Hunnicutt said.

Pepper spray is a nontoxic and biodegradable substance that causes discomfort to those affected, police said. It is made up of concentrated oil from chili peppers, water and carbon dioxide gas as a propellant.

“The Ardmore Police Department regrets that this incident occurred and is working to correct the situation,” Hunnicutt said.

The officer's name was not released.