Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
"We're working on bringing a live event there,” White said. He spoke Thursday morning at the Associated Press Sports Editors' convention in Minneapolis. The event in Oklahoma City could be on Spike TV or pay-per-view. No doubt the UFC took notice of the market after the debut of primetime mixed martial arts on network television. CBS EliteXC Saturday Night Fights was the top-rated sports event in the Oklahoma City market during the first week of June. The market also produced the highest rating for all CBS affiliates in the 10:30 to 10:45 p.m. time slot. Oklahoma City drew an 11.1 share during that time for the main bout, Kimbo Slice's victory against James Thompson. The Ford Center would likely be the venue for the UFC event. UFC 87 is set for early August at the Target Center in Minneapolis, a 20,500-seat arena, while UFC 88 will be in early September at the Philips Arena in Atlanta, an 18,729-seat venue. The Ford Center's capacity is 19,599.
Are you ready for the UFC?
The UFC is coming to OKC.Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White indicated that the mixed martial arts league will be bringing one of its major events to Oklahoma City sometime in the next six or eight months.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 81615Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14276Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8057Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7469Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7367How to help tornado victims
- 6230Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 5754Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'