Argentina scratches out 1-1 draw with Peru
LIMA, Peru (AP) — Gonzalo Higuain scored in the 37th minute to help Argentina scratch out a 1-1 draw with Peru on Tuesday and stay on top of the standings in South American World Cup qualifying.
Carlos Zamorano scored in the 22nd minute for Peru, which could have had at least one more goal, but Argentina keeper Sergio Romero stopped Claudio Pizarro's penalty in the 3rd minute. Peru also hit a post and was always more threatening against Argentina's frail defense.
The draw gave Argentina 14 points after seven of 14 matches, followed by Ecuador and Colombia with 13, Chile and Uruguay with 12 and Peru on 7.
"We knew it was going to be like this," Argentina midfielder Javier Mascherano said. "This is a tough place to play and the pitch wasn't that good. Everyone wants to beat Argentina."
Zamorano gave Peru the lead, chipping in from 8 meters after a cross from Luis Advincula.
Higuain equalized for Argentina in the 37th, set up by a perfect pass from the right wing by Ezequiel Lavezzi.
Peru matched Argentina in the first half, with the attacking of Jefferson Farfan and Advincula troubling Argentina's nervous defense. Lionel Messi was held in check and Peru was more aggressive, getting away with several rough tackles.
The Gauchos knew they were in for a high-intensity match ever since Monday when the bus carrying Argentina players from practice was pelted with thrown objects, breaking several windows.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13360Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9892Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9697Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8639Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6622Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5282Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister