Argentine, Italian clubs fined over transfer deal
ZURICH (AP) — FIFA has fined Argentine club Independiente and Italian club Genoa for breaking transfer rules in a blocked deal for defender Julian Velazquez.
FIFA says both clubs' behavior "stains the credibility of the entire transfer system."
They agreed that Genoa would pay a "significant" amount to Independiente to complete mandatory documents which FIFA insists should be free of charge in its Transfer Matching System.
Genoa also failed to submit documents to FIFA's online process, which seeks to ensure fair dealing and financial transparency in the billion-dollar annual transfer market.
FIFA says its disciplinary panel fined both clubs 35,000 Swiss francs ($38,400).
FIFA says Independiente faces further disciplinary action, and Genoa has been warned about future conduct.
The 22-year-old Velazquez has stayed in Argentina as FIFA stalled the transfer since Aug. 31.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14804OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10332Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6926Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6240Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 6240Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5695Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4108Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?