Arizona Cardinals RB Ryan Williams out for season
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) — The Arizona Cardinals' already embattled ground game has taken a severe blow with the announcement that running back Ryan Williams is out for the season with a left shoulder injury that will require surgery.
The Cardinals already are without Beanie Wells until at least Thanksgiving weekend because of a severe turf toe injury.
The hard-luck Williams missed all of his rookie season a year ago with a torn patella tendon. He injured his shoulder on a hard hit during last Thursday night's loss at St. Louis.
The injury leaves Arizona with running backs LaRod Stephens-Howling, William Powell and Alfonso Smith. Stephens-Howling missed the last two weeks with a hip flexor.
The Cardinals are 4-1 despite their virtual lack of any ground game. They rank 31st out of 32 NFL teams in yards rushing per game at 63.4. Only Oakland's 60.8 is worse.
Coach Ken Whisenhunt revealed the extent of the injury in his brief meeting with reporters following the team's light workout on Monday.
"The timetable for recovery is probably three months, so that puts him out for the season," Whisenhunt said.
Asked if the team would look to bring in a running back from elsewhere, he said, "We'll look and see."
"I feel good about the guys that we've got," the coach said. "We're always going to look to get better at every position. If that opportunity is there, then we'll certainly try to act on it."
Arizona opened the season believing that its ground game would be a strength with Wells and Williams providing a solid 1-2 punch. Now that punch is down to 0-0.
"That's the NFL," Whisenhunt said. "Teams have to fight through adversity and keep going. We've done a good job of that the first five weeks of the season, and now we've got another challenge, but that's OK. We'll work through it."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates