Arrest made in Oklahoma after attempted bombing of gas line near Okemah
A Seminole County man was arrested after he called 911 and said he put a bomb on a pipeline near Okemah, investigators said.
OKEMAH — The FBI has arrested a Seminole County man who they say called 911 to identify himself as the person who planted a pipe bomb on a natural gas line near Okemah.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
His call came after news reports that the device had been found.
Daniel Wells Herriman, 40, of Konawa, made the call Wednesday night, FBI Special Agent in Charge James Finch said Friday.
The explosive device was found earlier that day and the news media had been alerted.
“We take all threats to infrastructure seriously,” Finch said. “Without a doubt, someone making a bomb threat to a gas pipeline is a serious threat.”
Finch said the device was a live explosive and could have done serious damage if it had detonated.
“Thank goodness Mr. Herriman is not the greatest bomb-maker,” Finch said.
The Okfuskee County Sheriff's Department called the FBI about 11 a.m. Wednesday after the device was found attached to the Enerfin Resources gas pipeline.
The device was described as a 12-inch-by-12-inch pipe bomb with a timing mechanism, FBI officials said. The device was made with PVC pipe and had gunpowder inside, agents said.
Bomb technicians from the FBI and the Oklahoma Highway Patrol went to the site about five miles south of Okemah and 70 miles east of Oklahoma City. They removed the device from the gas line, examined it and rendered it safe.
Finch said agents searched Herriman's home after he called 911 and found bomb-making components similar to the device on the pipeline. Herriman was arrested Friday, the FBI said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13704Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 13572OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9488Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 7226Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6986Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5704Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5041Student shot dead during botched home invasion