Arrest made in rape of woman on LA County bus
There were only four or five passengers during the five-mile leg when the crime occurred and by the end there was only one remaining, who tried to get the driver's attention. It's unclear what the driver saw.
The victim, who has the mental capacity of a 10-year-old, did not scream for help, but she told the driver she had been raped after the assailant exited the bus, Scott said.
Trotter, who is unemployed, has previous convictions for grand theft and possession of rock cocaine, according to court records. He was previously investigated for sexual assault, but no charges were ever filed, Scott said.
Trotter and his victim do not know one another. Authorities wouldn't say if DNA evidence had been recovered.
"We believe it was a crime of opportunity, that unfortunately she was in the wrong place at the wrong time," Scott said.
It was the third rape so far this year on county buses that annually carry millions of people.
Bus drivers are trained to call transit dispatchers when they become aware of a possible crime, said Marc Littman, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority. If a crime is in progress, there is a silent alarm on board that can be tripped.
"This is an extremely rare occurrence," he said.
It was unclear if the driver saw what transpired. He was being interviewed by authorities.
"We don't believe anybody else did anything wrong," Scott said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister