OU Goes Back to Drawing Board It's Time for OU to Slow Down, And Find Right Man for the Job
Tubby Smith announced Wednesday he will not be Oklahoma's next basketball coach.
This is a wise move. This also is a blessing in disguise.
This is a wise move because Smith can now reclaim his reputation.
Smith's character has been dragged up and down the Turner Turnpike the past few days.
He promised he'd stay at Tulsa. He gave us his word.
No, he didn't.
Yes, he did.
No, we agreed he could keep his options open.
No, we didn't.
Yes, we did.
Enough already. A man tries to further his career and people talk trash about him. That's not right. That's not fair.
Smith is where he belongs - back in Tulsa, back in good graces.
He's a good guy, a good coach and he's got a good team. Together they'll grow. Viva la Hurricane.
This is a blessing in disguise because OU no longer is working under an imaginary shot-clock while trying to replace Billy Tubbs.
This entire interview process has been far too hectic.
Where's the fire? What's the hurry?
Oooh, national signing day was Wednesday.
Big deal. So what.
Who's running the show here, OU's athletic department or some can't-miss recruit who hasn't signed yet?
OU officials need to spend two or three weeks on the selection process, not two or three days.
Tubbs - whether you're willing to admit this or not - made Oklahoma a big-time basketball school.
"It's one of the top 25 programs in the country, no question about it," Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton said.
OU owes it to itself to hold a thorough nationwide search.
Who's on the list?
"There is no list," OU athletic director Donnie Duncan said, "but we've got to take the time to get to know the others (candidates). " Who's to say Smith would have been the right man for the job?
He's been courted before.
He tap-danced around a job offer at Houston last year. There have been other offers. Maybe Smith did some dancing around the OU job, too.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 22453Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12179Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10764Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9050Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8838Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8708Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8233Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister