Eggs-tra effort goes long way
A sports staff has many components.
Pretty-boy writers. Information processors. Evil editors.
And the desk crew. The guys who write the headlines and lay out pages and select photos and trudge through stories to save embarrassment and or lawsuits.
They're an interesting bunch. Doug Simpson used to work on his father's farm. Tim Parks, Bob Cramer and Ted Harbin grew up in small Kansas towns, and all three graduated from Fort Hays State. We lead the world in Fort Hays grads.
Bill Bootz once worked for a pavement management company. Who knew pavement even needed to be managed? Jerry Smith is an Army veteran. Dean Bailey is the walking archives of The Oklahoman .
Austin Gilley umpired softball. Bobby Rockel honed a golf swing that makes him a 6-handicap. Al Herzberger was a cook. A life lesson: never underestimate the importance of a cook.
Which takes us to Legend's in Norman on a Sunday morning some years back.
Big Al was a college man at the time, working his way through school. He worked the line in Legend's kitchen; Al manned the saut station, his pal handled the grill.
A couple came in and, among other things, wanted eggs Benedict with the English muffins well-done, hash browns and a vegetable omelet. Uh-oh. No hash browns or vegetable omelets on the menu.
Can we make them, the waiter asked?
No, said Big Al.
Sure, said the kitchen manager.
So Big Al, a good soldier, started cutting carrots and broccoli. His pal started burning the English muffins. The kitchen manager began browning hash.
Big Al cooked one side of the omelet, was ready to flip it and then stopped. Does a vegetarian omelet have cheese? That, of course, depends on what kind of vegetarian we're talking about.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims