Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Erica Hinojosa of Pierceville, Kan., met Monday with Newcastle police officers and representatives from the state Department of Human Services to explain how her son was left at a Love's Country Store at Interstate 35 and State Highway 9 on Sunday, Newcastle Police Chief Gary Norman said. The family was en route to its home in Kansas when it stopped near Newcastle. Hinojosa, who has four other children, told police she didn't realize her son was missing until the family arrived home about six hours later, Norman said. Two people noticed the boy wandering alone inside and outside the store and called police. The child is in DHS custody. Hinojosa brought documents and photos to verify that the child was hers when she returned to Oklahoma to claim him, Norman said. Hinojosa was allowed a supervised visit with the child Monday afternoon, but was ordered to return to McClain County District Court for another hearing later this month. What's next Newcastle police are completing their investigation and will turn a report over to the district attorney's office to determine if any charges should be filed, Norman said.
Boy left at store stays in DHS care for now
NEWCASTLE — The mother of a 2-year-old boy who was left in a convenience store will have to wait until investigations by police and child welfare specialists are completed to get her son back, officials said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister