Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
But none of the big schools in his home state of Texas offered Daniel a football scholarship. At 5-foot-11, he was too short to play quarterback. "When it comes to quarterbacks, everyone thinks it's a beauty contest,” said North Texas coach Todd Dodge, who was Daniel's high school coach at Southlake Carroll. "If people would've had a crystal ball back then, they would've thought twice about passing on him just because he wasn't the prototypical size.” Now at Missouri, Daniel has the undefeated Tigers at No. 11 in the polls, their highest ranking since 1981. Daniel will arrive in Norman this weekend coming off his best game as a Tiger, completing 33 of 47 passes for a career-best 401 yards and accounting for four touchdowns as the Tigers spanked Nebraska 41-6 in front of their first sellout crowd in four years. "He's just really good. He's accurate. Obviously he's very comfortable in the system,” OU coach Bob Stoops said. "You've got to do a good job of trying to bother him or get pressure, change up what you're doing.” Daniel has tossed for 1,712 yards and 15 touchdowns, one year after shattering the school's single-season passing record by throwing for 3,527 yards as a sophomore.
Once overlooked, Daniel is one of the Big 12's best quarterbacks
NORMAN — Out of high school, quarterback Chase Daniel could do it all.He could throw with the velocity of a baseball pitcher and run like a track star.
Videoview all videos
NewsOK Related Articles
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort