Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Raye Dawn SmithRaye Dawn Smith also complained doctors shamefully overstated evidence, several jurors slept during testimony and the media acted "like a plague of locusts.” "An innocent woman was convicted of a terrible crime,” her new attorney, Stephen Jones, wrote in a 94-page legal brief. Smith is serving a 27-year prison sentence for enabling child abuse.
Kelsey's mom seeks new abuse trial
Changes made on rim.
BRISTOW — The mother of Kelsey Smith-Briggs asked Monday for a new trial, alleging the district attorney has lied about where he lives so he was not qualified to prosecute her.
Raye Dawn Smith
BackgroundJurors in July found Smith, 27, guilty of allowing her then-second husband to abuse Kelsey. Kelsey, 2, died Oct. 11, 2005, at her home near Meeker. Doctors determined she died from abuse. Jurors heard testimony that Kelsey had been abused for months, suffering a broken collarbone, broken legs, bruises, a sexual assault and other injuries. Kelsey's stepfather, Michael Lee Porter, is serving 30 years in prison. Porter, 27, once was charged with sexually abusing and murdering Kelsey, but pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of enabling child abuse after reaching a deal with prosecutors. Smith's trial judge, Paul Vassar, will hear her request. She can raise the same issues at the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals if she doesn't get a new trial.
Reasons for new trialJones gave about a dozen reasons her trial was unfair. A key argument involves District Attorney Richard Smothermon. Her attorney contends Smothermon was not qualified to prosecute her because he lives in Edmond, which is outside his district of Lincoln and Pottawatomie counties. Her attorney called the district attorney's house in Shawnee "a political disguise.” "He lives in Edmond .
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11190Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11015Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9873Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8372Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4481Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4243Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4027OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M