Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Upset bug bites Sooners
Instead, it turned out to be a stunning 66-62 upset by the Lumberjacks in front of an estimated crowd of 4,377 at the Lloyd Noble Center. The Sooner guards were a combined 6-of-27 from the field Saturday and 2-of-14 from 3-point range as OU fell behind by as many as nine points to the Lumberjacks, who took the lead with 3:01 left in the first half and never trailed again. "It's hard to win when you don't have good guard play,” said OU head coach Jeff Capel, citing the strong performance from his guards in consecutive blowout wins over TCU and Tulsa prior to Saturday. OU sophomore Tony Crocker averaged 23 points in those two wins, but had just four points, all from the free throw line, against the Lumberjacks. "He wasn't a factor on either end of the court,” Capel said. SFA swingman Josh Alexander hit three crucial 3-pointers and finished with 19 points to put the Sooners away. "It looks like we caught OU a little flat in the first half,” SFA coach Danny Kaspar said. "Our guys are buying into the theory that if we can play defense, then we can give ourselves a chance to win against these bigger schools.” OU seniors David Godbold and Longar Longar agreed that the Sooners weren't ready to play Saturday. But Capel wasn't listening to that. "They out-everythinged us,” the coach said.
Upset bug bites Sooners
Stephen F. Austin proves to be not so easy with 66-62 victory
NORMAN — It was supposed to get tough after Saturday.With final exams awaiting the Oklahoma players prior to the toughest three-game stretch on their non-conference schedule, Saturday's game against Stephen F. Austin should have been one of the last easy wins for the Sooners.
Videoview all videos
NewsOK Related Articles
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 33271Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 24362Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6895OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6548Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4476OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4156Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3398Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater