Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
"There are a lot of guys that are coming on that are going to have a chance to compete,” Stoops said. "Cory Brandon, Brian Simmons, Donald Stephenson and Jason Hannan are coming back. There are a number of guys that really have a chance. We've got to get them out there and get them working, and they'll have a chance to do that.” •Still the same Bob: Think Stoops is much different than his days as a college athlete at Iowa? Not so, says former Hawkeye teammate and new wide receivers coach Jay Norvell. "Bob was just like he is now. Straightforward, what you see is what you get,” said Norvell, who played in the defensive backfield with Stoops. "I played behind him, and I just watched him every day, and I always had great respect for how he handled himself. That's one of the reasons I respect him as a coach because I watched him as a player, and he has the same approach now, which is no nonsense, do your job.” •No practice this week: OU will be off this week for spring break. Practice will resume March 24. •New Boomer and Sooner: During the Red-White game on April 12, OU will unveil a new pair of ponies, Boomer and Sooner V, who will be pulling the Sooner Schooner. Last season against Oklahoma State, Boomer and Sooner IV were honored in their final home game pulling the Schooner. Boomer and Sooner IV had been pulling the Schooner since 1993.
Notebook: Line competition
Line competitionOU returns all five starters on the offensive line from last season. But OU coach Bob Stoops said that doesn't mean the backups won't have a chance to compete for playing time during spring drills.
NewsOK Related Articles
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90701Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17035OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12738Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8924Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8598Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8454How to help tornado victims
- 8359Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located