Judge sentences Underwood to die
PURCELL — A judge today formally sentenced Kevin Ray Underwood to die by lethal injection for the 2006 murder of Jamie Rose Bolin, his 10-year-old neighbor at a Purcell apartment complex.
McClain County District Judge Candace Blalock's pronouncement was largely a formality, since a jury imposed the death penalty last month after convicting Underwood, 28, of the girl's death.
Underwood declined the judge's offer to speak before she issued the sentence.
Blalock set June 13 as the execution date, but an appeal is automatic.
During his 10-minute court appearance, Underwood asked to waive the 10-day waiting period to be transferred from jail to prison. He likely will be housed on the death row unit at Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester.
Killer planned to eat body
Jamie's body was found hidden in a plastic tub in Underwood's closet on April 14, 2006, two days after she disappeared from the apartment she shared with her father upstairs from Underwood's.
The victim was killed as part of a cannibalistic plot that Underwood revealed during a grisly, videotaped interview after his arrest.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 51290Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14843Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9419Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7710Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7083Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6592Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6563Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes