Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
State officials aren't exactly sure how much extra money was spent to make sure the 5-by-7-foot microscope isn't disturbed by the slightest vibration in the building, said Charles Curtis, the laboratory's director. "It is very sensitive,” said Brad Rogers, a senior criminalist in the trace evidence unit. "Any electrical disturbance can affect its performance.” As part of the building design process, state officials consulted with the engineers who made the microscope to figure out how to secure a disturbance-free work area. Metal tubing, about 10 inches by 6 inches, runs from the first floor to the third floor and acts as a tuning fork, Curtis said. The microscope is used to examine gunshot residue and tiny particles that can't be seen by the naked eye, Rogers
Big task lets lab see tiny matter
Moving a scanning electron microscope isn't an easy task.A lot of planning and special construction were required to protect and set up the microscope on the third floor of the new Forensic Science Center in Edmond.
Videoview all videos
May 2How the smallest fibers can yield clues to a case.
May 1Take a look inside the toxicology lab to see how experts...
May 1Watch parts of the opening ceremony of the new forensic...
NewsOK Related Articles
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister