Ex-Guthrie teacher charged with 11 sex-related counts
GUTHRIE — A former Guthrie High School teacher and assistant coach has been charged with 11 sex-related counts involving students.
James Sterling Gilbertson, 27, Guthrie, was arrested Thursday afternoon at his parents' residence following a two week investigation by the Guthrie Police Department.
He faces, in Logan County District Court, three counts of forcible oral sodomy, three counts of sexual battery and five counts of rape by instrumentation.
Gilbertson had contact with three Guthrie High School female students on four different occasions beginning in December 2007, according to a court affidavit.
On May 23, Guthrie Public Schools Superintendent Terry Simpson went to Guthrie police after a mother of a high-school student received a text message on her cell phone from Gilbertson that she believed was intended for her daughter. Two of the girls interviewed by police said they had a sexual relationship with Gilbertson. One girl told police Gilbertson had sent her several text messages despite her objection and that he had touched her leg once in a classroom.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 36331Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15449Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9864Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9824Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9353Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7992Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7895Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister