Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Oklahoma City's NBA team picked up Kyle Weaver on Monday. A former All Pac-10 player, Weaver will be counted on for his defense and play-making abilities. ASSOCIATED PRESSWeaver, a 6-foot-6, 200-pound guard out of Washington State, was drafted by Charlotte with the 38th overall pick in this year's draft. He averaged 12.2 points, 5.3 rebounds and 4.3 assists in his senior season with the Cougars. Weaver, 22, is known as a gritty defender and multi-dimensional player who can play both guard positions and also possesses the size and potential to play minutes at small forward. In exchange for Weaver, Oklahoma City sent Charlotte the second-round pick acquired in the 2006 trade that sent center Mikki Moore to New Jersey. Oklahoma City will now have two first-round picks in the 2009 draft, their own and San Antonio's, and their own second-round selection. "We're pleased to add Kyle Weaver to our organization,” said Presti in a statement. "He is a young player with a defensive mentality and team-first approach to the game. We are excited to add these qualities to our team in Oklahoma City.” Weaver isn't likely to contribute much immediately. But he has the upside to join Kevin Durant, Jeff Green and Russell Westbrook as the franchise's core group for the future.
Oklahoma City NBA team acquires a guard from Bobcats in trade
Sam Presti has added another building block to his roster.The Oklahoma City general manager on Monday acquired Kyle Weaver from the Charlotte Bobcats in exchange for a 2009 second-round draft pick.
NewsOK Related Articles
Oklahoma City's NBA team picked up Kyle Weaver on Monday. A former All Pac-10 player, Weaver will be counted on for his defense and play-making abilities. ASSOCIATED PRESS
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims