Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
1976 Mooney 22, Fitch 0 Cardinal Mooney took over sole possession of first place in the Steel Valley Conference football race by scoring an impressive 22-0 triumph over Fitch last night at South Stadium before some 8,000 fans. Coach Don Bucci's Cardinals, sparked by Bob Stoops' two touchdowns on passes from Jeff Bruno, notched their sixth straight victory and fourth in the loop. 1976 Mooney 34, Struthers 0 Alert play by junior Bob Stoops gave Mooney an added weapon. A two-way performer, Stoops intercepted two passes to stop two early Struthers' threats and caught a couple of tosses from Jeff Bruno, one covering 49 yards to paydirt. 1976 Mooney 14, Chaney 6 After a five-yard illegal-motion penalty, quarterback Bruno threw a pass 35 yards to Stoops, who raced 25 yards more to the first score, coming with 4:11 in the first quarter.
Stoops: The early headlines
Stoops: The early headlinesNewspaper excerpts from the Youngstown Vindicator of Bob Stoops' playing days at Cardinal Mooney High School:
Videoview all videos
NewsOK Related Articles
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14537OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9306Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6496Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6052Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5977Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5977Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 3990As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in