Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Before the rains, Oklahoma hummed in its new-look, no-huddle offense. The Sooners produced seven touchdowns on eight first-half possessions Saturday night, KO-ing defenseless Chattanooga before lightning knocked out the new $4.2 million high-definition scoreboard, sending the game into a dark and merciless 85-minute delay and fans scurrying for the exits. Technicians fixed the scoreboard, and at the end of the game it read 57-2. But the storyline of this game was the exciting, almost flawless debut of the no-huddle. Sophomore quarterback Sam Bradford seemed in command of the no-huddle from the first snap, sticking his first eight passes into the chests of his wide receivers. He finished 17-of-22 passing for 183 yards and two touchdowns. “The no-huddle is something we've put a lot of work into,” Bradford said. “To come out and score on that first drive, that gave us some confidence. The more we got into the game the more we were successful with it, the better we felt about it.” Senior receiver Manuel Johnson had one of the finest outings in his career, reeling in nine catches for 120 yards and a score. He pointed to the no-huddle as one of the reasons for his output, though the Chattanooga coverage didn't hurt, either.
No-huddle powers Sooners in blowout
NORMAN — Forty-five minutes into the halftime that wouldn't end, a boy sloshed 100 yards through the downpour, sliding feet first across the goal line. He was hardly the only Sooner to score.
NewsOK Related Articles
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments