Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Ranking the NBA nicknames
1. New York Knickerbockers: Unique & New York-centric.
2. Boston Celtics: Great name even without 17 titles.
3. Philadelphia 76ers: 89ers would have been good for OKC.
4. Detroit Pistons: Never heard of another Pistons.
5. Atlanta Hawks: Simple & regal.
6. Los Angeles Lakers: Makes no geographic sense but pleasing to the ears.
7. Phoenix Suns: Perfect for the desert.
8. Golden State Warriors: Great name in Philly and Frisco.
9. Charlotte Bobcats: Remarkably solid considering picked in 21st century.
10. Dallas Mavericks: Good play off Cowboys.
11. Cleveland Cavaliers: Has a nice ring to it.
12. Houston Rockets: Good tie-in to space industry.
13. Sacramento Kings: Sounds good, imagery shaky.
14. New Orleans Hornets: Not fancy, but Shinn's crew makes it work.
15. Memphis Grizzlies: Not great. Not bad.
16. Portland TrailBlazers: Almost always shortened.
NewsOK Related Articles
Sky blue will be the color
09/04/2008 Thunder will be the nickname of Oklahoma City’s new NBA team.
There were no surprises Wednesday afternoon when the team name leaked out before a 5 p.m....
Hundreds of fans wait in line to shop for Thunder gear
09/04/2008 James Branscum and his family of five will be on vacation at Disney World next week. Odds are good the Branscums, from Moore, will be the only tourists...
Lessons from Thunderdome
09/04/2008 In “Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome,” the third film in the Mel Gibson Mad Max trilogy, the Barter Town crowd awaits the gladiators by chanting, “Two men...
Coaching staff gearing up for training camp
09/04/2008 Oklahoma City Thunder fans can finally turn their attention to basketball.
With the long-awaited announcement of the team name, logo and colors now behind...
Reaction to the name Thunder
09/04/2008 Here is what some business people and NBA fans have to say about Oklahoma City's new nickname.
"It's not bad. It could be worse. I'm not a big fan of the...
Cheers and Jeers: Thunder colors look good, logo not so much
09/04/2008 Berry Tramel offers his takes on the best and worst parts of today's NBA nickname announcement.
* To the Thunder colors. Dominant blue is the...
Thunder wear prices
09/04/2008 Now that Oklahoma City's NBA team officially has a nickname, you're ready to buy some gear. But what?
Here's a look at your best options from The Thunder...
Voice of the fan wins out
09/04/2008 Little did we know, the nickname for the NBA team in our fair city was decided May 18.
That was the day that you, our dear readers, chose the Thunder in...
Give it time; you'll learn to love Thunder
09/04/2008 Love the new name or hate the new name, know this. Within six months, maybe less, you will embrace Thunder. You won't even remember the summer when we rode...
NBA relocations / Name changes
09/04/2008 Here is a look at the NBA teams that have changed locations and names along the way.
Atlanta Hawks (1967-present): Four stops, each time as a hawk —...
It's time to crank up the AC/DC
09/04/2008 Hope ya'll like AC/DC.
Their song “Thunderstruck” is sure to blare every 45 seconds or so inside the Ford Center in future NBA seasons....
Poll: Do you like the nickname?
var fo = new FlashObject("http://static.newsok.biz/flash/poll/default_2.swf", "flash_poll", "250", "251", 8, "#FFFFFF");...
Feedback: Share your thoughts on the Oklahoma City Thunder
09/03/2008 What do you think of the team's nickname?
Sports Photo Galleriesview all