1. New York Knickerbockers: Unique & New York-centric.
2. Boston Celtics: Great name even without 17 titles.
3. Philadelphia 76ers: 89ers would have been good for OKC.
4. Detroit Pistons: Never heard of another Pistons.
5. Atlanta Hawks: Simple & regal.
6. Los Angeles Lakers: Makes no geographic sense but pleasing to the ears.
7. Phoenix Suns: Perfect for the desert.
8. Golden State Warriors: Great name in Philly and Frisco.
9. Charlotte Bobcats: Remarkably solid considering picked in 21st century.
10. Dallas Mavericks: Good play off Cowboys.
11. Cleveland Cavaliers: Has a nice ring to it.
12. Houston Rockets: Good tie-in to space industry.
13. Sacramento Kings: Sounds good, imagery shaky.
14. New Orleans Hornets: Not fancy, but Shinn's crew makes it work.
15. Memphis Grizzlies: Not great. Not bad.
16. Portland TrailBlazers: Almost always shortened.