Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
“Everything points that we need to save more,” said Oklahoma City's Steve Lanier, a member of the Society of Financial Professionals and a certified employee benefit specialist. “Fidelity says the average 401(k) balance is $64,000. We're in trouble if that's what we're depending on.” On the other hand, Lanier said he has seen young clients urged to cut their spending drastically by investment professionals. “We probably oversell the need at the front end to the possible detriment of somebody not enjoying life to its fullest because you don't know when it's going to end,” he said. Save, save now and keep saving is the message from Greg Biggs, a financial adviser with Biggs Financial/AIG Financial Advisors in Oklahoma City. “I have yet to meet anybody that was upset because they had saved too much money,” Biggs said. “It's quite the opposite. I knock my head against the wall on a daily basis trying to get people to quit spending on themselves and start saving for their future.” Oklahoma City financial adviser Brian Puckett said a number of his older clients reach retirement with vast pools of wealth gathered not through lucrative salaries but through compulsive saving.
It’s tough to over-save for retirement
The personal savings rate in the United States is negative 1 percent, the poorest showing since the Great Depression.While that figure fails to take into account some measures of net worth, such as increased equity in one’s home, it should stand as a stark reminder for those hoping to build a retirement fund, investment experts say.
NewsOK Related Articles
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 19791Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7602OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6827Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6472OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5877Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4499Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4468Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash