Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Financial education can make the difference, say money advisers. Many Oklahoma colleges and universities offer seminars or classes in financial planning. They don’t teach the evils of credit card use, merely responsible use, said Davin Winger, a personal finances instructor at Oklahoma Panhandle State University. “You really need to have one,” he said. “You can’t do any transaction over the Internet without a credit card.” Responsible credit card use also helps young people establish credit scores that will help them secure home and car loans, and better rates for their cards. But the key is paying off the balance when possible and not making rash purchases, Winger said. Students experiencing their first parent-free purchasing power don’t always make wise decisions. Some sign up for credit cards because they are offered a gift like a free T-shirt to apply — a practice many colleges and universities ban on campus. “Credit isn’t a bad thing,” said Jennifer Wallace, vice president of Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Central Oklahoma.
Credit offers in college
For some students, getting a credit card when they start college is a rite of passage that teaches financial responsibility.For others, it’s the beginning of a lifetime of debt and money woes.Financial education can make the difference, say money advisers.
For some students, getting a credit card when they start college is a rite of passage that teaches financial responsibility.For others, it’s the beginning of a lifetime of debt and money woes.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14605Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9594Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8009Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6980Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6486Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6299Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister