Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Sometimes one question leads two people in two directions. Sometimes the answers are the same. In this case, there’s an overlap.
Sometimes one question leads two people in two directions. Sometimes the answers are the same.In this case, there’s an overlap. I asked Orhan Kucukosman, Oklahoma City’s executive director of The Institute of Interfaith Dialog, and Vahap Uysal, a volunteer of that education organization, the same question: Have you seen evidence that minority faith communities are growing in Oklahoma? Kucukosman said the Muslim community in many metropolitan areas is increasing because of immigration and births within the community. Uysal said it’s difficult to measure the growth rate of minority faiths, “but I can say that some of them have become more visible in public spheres due to globalization.” And then Uysal mentioned Muslims. He said they have become more visible through their contribution to be part of the solutions that The Institute of Interfaith Dialog stresses. This includes having a common understanding between faith organizations and using that to solve problems in society, including hunger, poverty and the environmental crisis. “I see more involvement of Muslims in volunteering for homeless shelters, walk for cure and civil rights,” he said. The Institute of Interfaith Dialog was established by Turkish-American Muslims and friends of theirs from varying faiths.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10710Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10389Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10187Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9807Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6458Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4074Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4073Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes