114 residences destroyed in Lone Grove

By Johnny Johnson - Staff Writer Modified: February 12, 2009 at 5:34 pm •  Published: February 12, 2009
Advertisement
LONE GROVE -- The tornado that devastated Carter County on Tuesday destroyed 114 homes and mobile homes in Lone Grove, city manager Marianne Elfert said this evening.

The death toll remains at eight, and officials do not expect that number to rise, Elfert said. Carter County Sheriff Ken Grace previously reported a ninth victim died Wednesday at a Dallas hospital, but Elfert and state emergency management officials said that is incorrect.

Search and rescue operations in the city included a 10-man team that walked a grid along the tornado's path through Lone Grove, and officials said no one else -- dead or alive -- is trapped in rubble or otherwise missing. Elfert said four or five Lone Grove residents remain unaccounted for, but officials do not think any of those residents were in town when the tornado hit. Authorities contacted about 45 other people who were unaccounted for after the storm, and all are safe.

The storm injured 46 people, but most have already been released from the hospital, Elfert said.

Food will be provided by relief agencies to displaced residents until Sunday, she said.

Local officials also announced today an indefinite burn ban in Lone Grove.


Trending Now


AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    Nurses' group wants uniform Ebola standards
  2. 2
    Presenting the NFL’s Biggest Camera Hogs
  3. 3
    These researchers found a way to make calorie labels that actually work
  4. 4
    How Ray Rice could be reinstated to the NFL within a month
  5. 5
    Notre Dame sees mixed, frustrating results on final play
+ show more