Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Warren, the Big 12’s Newcomer of the Year, confirmed his decision Thursday in a text message: “Yes that’s true,” Warren wrote. Warren’s return bolsters OU’s chances for a return to the NCAA Tournament. Most NBA mock drafts projected Warren as a lottery pick. With national Player of the Year Blake Griffin already leaving early for the NBA and starters Taylor Griffin and Austin Johnson gone after their eligibility expired, the potential loss of Warren would have left the Sooners rebuilding with youth. Instead, Warren gives OU a potential star to build around, with his return the basis for most early projections pegging the Sooners as a top 20 team. “With Willie, you’ve got a guy who you’ve seen do it,” OU coach Jeff Capel said earlier this week. Warren was OU’s second-leading scorer this season, averaging 14.6 points a game, along with 3.1 assists. Without the Griffins inside, the Sooners will likely shift to a more guard-oriented emphasis offensively, which would feature Warren’s penetration skills and creativity with the ball in his hands.
OU's Willie Warren returning for another season
NORMAN – Oklahoma freshman guard Willie Warren, who had been contemplating a jump to the NBA, is returning for at least another season with the Sooners.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 18732Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 15952Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 10745How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 2753Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 2638Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say