Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Red Carpet Country
Where: Oklahoma Panhandle/northwest/north-central.Counties (16): Alfalfa, Beaver, Blaine, Cimarron, Dewey, Ellis, Garfield, Grant, Harper, Kay, Kingfisher, Major, Noble, Texas, Woods, Woodward. Includes: Alva, Blackwell, Boise City, Buffalo, Cherokee, Enid, Fairview, Guymon, Kingfisher, Medford, Okeene, Ponca City, Woodward.
10 places to visit:* Black Mesa State Park — Black Mesa, near Kenton in Cimarron County in the Panhandle, is the highest point in Oklahoma, 4,973 feet above sea level. The area is still researched for dinosaur fossils and footprints. * Great Salt Plains State Park — Eight miles north of Jet on State Highway 38 (approximately 45 minutes northwest of Enid), has a salt-covered landscape that is a popular tourist spot and location for observing wildlife. * Alabaster Caverns — Six miles south of Freedom on SH 50, then a half-mile east on SH 50A. The world’s largest publicly held gypsum cave which is open to visitors. * Sod House — One miles east and 2.5 miles south of Aline on SH 8 in Major County. The only sod house still standing in Oklahoma built by a homesteader. Marshal McCully built it in 1894, less than a year after he made the Sept. 16, 1893, land run in the Cherokee Outlet. * Boiling Springs State Park — One mile north of Woodward on SH 34, then four miles east on SH 34C.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims