Dog wakes up man and alerts him to house fire in The Village

ROBERT MEDLEY Modified: August 12, 2009 at 9:47 am •  Published: August 12, 2009

THE VILLAGE — Sadie, a 2-year-old Chihuahua, woke up her owner and another man in a burning house early today.

The dog and both men at 2113 Churchill Place escaped unharmed, Fire Chief Wes Tollison said.

A candle left burning in a bedroom apparently started the fire, Tollison said.

Jackie Privett, 31, said he was asleep on his couch when Sadie started licking his nose about 2:40 a.m.

"I'm thankful she did because I got up and saw the smoke and was able to get most of the animals out of the house," Privett said.

He said a cat and a bird died in the fire.

The house southwest of Britton Road and Pennsylvania Avenue did not have a working smoke alarm, Tollison said.

Ron Brower, 31, a friend of Privett, was also staying in the house and got out in time. He was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

"They were very fortunate," Tollison said.

The house sustained about $50,000 in damage, Tollison said.

Privett said OG&E had cut off his electricity Tuesday and his wife and three children went to stay at another place because the house was hot and his son has heart problems. He said he was sleeping with windows open and wind may have blown a curtain against the burning candle in the bedroom.

Tollison said firefighters found flames coming out of a back bedroom window when they arrived. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the blaze.

Privett said he was buying the house from a relative but will now have to begin rebuilding his life.

"We lost everything. Nothing is salvageable. Maybe a few knick-knacks if we're lucky," Privett said.

American Red Cross case workers arrived to assist Privett this morning.


NewsOK.com has disabled the comments for this article.