Boone Pickens gets first look at renovated stadium that bears his name
STILLWATER — T. Boone Pickens had the opportunity to experience the fruits of the $286 million dollar renovation of the stadium which bears his name on Monday.
Videoview all videos
Jun 14Get an extensive first look at the brand new west end...
Photoview all photos
Pickens lifted weights and did some cardio in the expansive football strength and conditioning center while touring the West End Zone of the newly renovated Boone Pickens Stadium on the campus of Oklahoma State University.
"I am the type of person, I have to see it," said Pickens, who donated $165 million to OSU in December 2005. "So, today is it for me. This is where I see the finished product and it's overwhelming for me."
With the stadium nearly completed, Pickens is turning his focus to filling the 60,218-seat venue for years to come.
"My mission is to get that stadium filled," Pickens said. "I said I'll do everything I can to build a stadium, but you're going to have to win. They might come to see the stadium for the first year but after that... you're going to have to win."
The new west end zone field level features 144,675 total feet including a 14,000-square foot locker room, 20,000 square foot strength and conditioning center and 7,600-square foot sports medicine area.
The stadium now has 135 suites and a team room which seats more than 200.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 35743Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 30080Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 9255Tornado levels homes in trailer park
- 7252Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6705OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3930Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3921OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures