Share “Definition of facilities and State Health...”

Definition of facilities and State Health resources

Oklahoman Published: February 21, 2010

Group Homes

The state Health Department oversees various types of group homes for people who are developmentally disabled, elderly, handicapped or otherwise. The Tulsa World and The Oklahoman examined inspection and investigation documents into two types of homes:

Residential Care - Homes for mentally ill and/or elderly residents paid usually with Social Security Income or private pay. Residents do not need any routine skilled nursing care and get around without assistance. The state requires a state license for these homes, which are not federally supported. The homes are inspected once every two years.

ICFMR (Intermediate Care Facility for People with Mental Retardation)

— Homes for developmentally disabled people, who received a diagnosis before age 18 of having an IQ of less than 80. They are funded through Medicaid, with the goal of providing active, mainstream lifestyles for residents. The state has a contract with the federal government for annual inspections. These must follow federal standards as well as standards in the state's Nursing Home Care Act.

State Health Department by the numbers:

7: Inspectors dedicated to 90 ICFMR sites and 1,900 beds

2: Inspectors to oversee the 80 residential care homes and 2,600 beds

15: Percent of turnover among inspectors

$50,000: Annual starting wage of an inspector


  1. 1
    Dispute: Was Cecil the lion's brother, Jericho, killed?
  2. 2
    An Oklahoma Immigrant's Experience, Recast As Noir, In 'Dragonfish'
  3. 3
    Summer well spent: Youths shadow professionals in mentoring program
  4. 4
    Norman residents disturbed after seeing vulgar, racist graffiti on homes, vehicles
  5. 5
    Vinita police chief: Extreme sunburn case still under investigation, drawing international media...
+ show more


× Trending news Article