Retired U.S. Army General wins Horatio Alger Award
WASHINGTON — Retired U.S. Army Gen. Tommy R. Franks, the Oklahoma native who led the U.S. military’s invasion of Iraq in 2003 and received the Presidential Medal of Freedom a year later, has been named a 2010 winner of the Horatio Alger Award.The award, which honors people for overcoming adversity to achieve great success, is given by the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans, which was founded in 1947....
View full article on Oklahoman.com
How do I get Full Access?
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 56820Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14719Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9122Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7282Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6520Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6448How to help tornado victims
- 6374Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes