Share “Transformer catches fire outside Bethel...”

Transformer catches fire outside Bethel Acres elementary school

No one was injured and the school was not damaged when a transformer blew outside Bethel Lower Elementary School.
FROM STAFF REPORTS Modified: May 18, 2010 at 3:51 pm •  Published: May 18, 2010

— No injuries or property damage were reported after a transformer caught fire this afternoon outside of Bethel Lower Elementary School, school superintendent David Glover said.

"If you heard it on the scanner, it sounded worse than it really was," he said.

Bethel Acres is west of Shawnee.

School officials were told the fire likely was caused by a faulty transformer. Glover said faculty and staff did a great job of making sure students were safe while fire and electric crews took care of the fire.

"All I know is we're getting a new transformer and that's about all there is to it," Glover said. "We have three days of school left and we're pressing on."