Off to college: Westmoore's Toby Bothwell headed to Arkansas
Toby Bothwell spent his high school running career posting one terrific time after another. But it was a case of bad timing that could have derailed his college athletic aspirations.
NewsOK Related Articles
Alas, the former Westmoore cross country and track standout overcame a major obstacle in both sports in his senior season and is headed to compete for a national power.
Bothwell will run for Arkansas next year after being invited to walk-on with the Razorbacks in cross country and track.
He could have taken an athletic scholarship to another school, but he didn't need one. Bothwell, who scored a perfect score (36) on the ACT, has a full academic scholarship to Arkansas.
"I guess basically I was looking at Arkansas and OU," Bothwell said. "I was injured last track season, but Arkansas offered the opportunity to walk on. I liked the staff, the campus, the people there. It was a quick decision to go to Arkansas."
The bad breaks that beset Bothwell as a senior were a serious case of the flu shortly before the cross country state meet (he still finished second) and then a hamstring injury during track season.
"Really bad timing," the 18-year old said.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims