World Cup of Softball notebook: Jennie Finch holds Futures scoreless
Jennie Finch pitched a complete game shutout in Team USA's 3-0 win over the USA Futures team early Monday.
The game was supposed to be played Sunday, but was rescheduled for Monday after a two-hour rain delay.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Finch struck out 12 and gave up three hits in her last game in the circle for Team USA.
Leles bounces back strong
The USA Futures' Janae Leles got off to a rough start Monday, going 0 for 3 and striking out twice in her team's loss to Team USA.
Leles bounced back in the third place game against Canada, however, going 3 for 4 with three RBIs.
Prior to the third place game, Leles, a two-time national champion at Arizona, didn't have any RBIs and just two hits in the World Cup.
Arioto sparks Futures
Valerie Arioto sparked the USA Futures' offense with the only home run on the day in the top of the 6th inning of the third place game. Arioto, the first baseman, was mostly used in a reserve role during the tournament.
"I didn't think it was gone off the bat but it was a good start for us." Arioto said. "I wasn't hitting the ball great before so it felt really good."
Arioto is now headed to Japan with the USA national team to compete in the Japan Cap.
Abbott impressive over weekend
USA pitcher Monica Abbott had given up three hits total before Monday's championship game and hadn't allowed any runs.
Abbott gave up four hits and one run in Team USA's 5-1 win over Japan for the title. Abbott's ERA for the weekend was 0.37.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad