Oklahoma elections: Jones appears to win auditor and inspector primary
Oklahoma Republican Party chairman leads pack in race for state auditor nomination.
Former Oklahoma Republican Party Chairman Gary Jones easily won the primary race for state auditor and inspector Tuesday.
Antlers Democrat Steve Burrage will face Jones in the general election Nov. 2. Burrage is seeking his first full four-year term to the post and was unopposed in the Democratic primary.
Videoview all videos
Jul 28Lt. Governor Jari Askins wins Democratic gubernatorial...
Jul 28Watch the video.
Jul 28Watch his concession of the race.
Jul 27Mary Fallin said tonight she is glad to win Oklahoma's...
Jul 28Oklahoma voters cast their ballots in the state's primary...
Photoview all 55 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
We're looking forward to the general election now."
Former Oklahoma Republican Party Chairman Gary Jones
Jones received nearly 70 percent of the vote to about 30 percent for his opponent, David Hanigar of Edmond.
"We're looking forward to the general election now," said Jones.
Jones outpaced Hanigar in fundraising efforts, bringing in $18,608 compared to $4,500 raised by Hanigar, $3,200 of which was his own.
Jones, of Cache, resigned from his position as state GOP chairman in June to campaign for the state auditor post. He served as state GOP chairman since 2003.
He unsuccessfully ran for the post against Jeff McMahan in 2002 and 2006.
McMahan resigned in 2008 after being convicted of several corruption-related felonies. He reported to prison in March 2009 to serve an eight-year and one month prison sentence.
Gov. Brad Henry appointed Burrage to replace McMahan in 2008.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12675Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11502Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6315Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5431Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 5078Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4467OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3964How to help tornado victims