GOP runoff ahead in Oklahoma insurance commissioner race
Two GOP hopefuls for insurance commissioner are headed for a runoff. John Crawford had about 42 percent of the votes cast, and John Doak had about 39 percent, with 98 percent of precincts reporting.
Two Republicans are headed to an Aug. 24 runoff election for the chance to run against incumbent Insurance Commissioner Kim Holland.
John P. Crawford, a former insurance commissioner, will face John Doak, a 20-year veteran of the insurance industry, in the runoff.
Videoview all videos
Jul 28Lt. Governor Jari Askins wins Democratic gubernatorial...
Jul 28Watch the video.
Jul 28Watch his concession of the race.
Jul 27Mary Fallin said tonight she is glad to win Oklahoma's...
Jul 28Oklahoma voters cast their ballots in the state's primary...
Photoview all 52 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Crawford, 78, of Oklahoma City, had 42 percent of the votes, and Doak, 47, of Tulsa, had 39 percent with 98 percent of precincts reporting late Tuesday.
Mark Croucher, a Jenks insurance agent who ran third with 19 percent of the votes, said he likely will issue an official endorsement of Crawford's candidacy as soon as today.
Doak said he will remind voters that Crawford was the target of an investigation by the FBI before losing his bid in 1998 to be re-elected as insurance commissioner.
"I think Republicans are interested in a candidate with integrity," Doak said.
Crawford, who never was charged with a crime, said he's "squeaky clean" and won't run a negative campaign.
"I feel sorry for anyone that's that desperate," he said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 18759Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10409Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9339Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7780Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6796UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6582Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister