OU football notes: Ronnell Lewis didn't fit with Falcons' option attack
Ronnell Lewis practiced some at middle linebacker last week but played only on special teams. OU coaches felt Air Force's complex option required playing their nickel defense with Tom Wort in the middle. Jeremy Beal also played most of the game, limiting snaps in the defensive end rotation.
Videoview all videos
Sep 19The Sooners give up 351 yards rushing and hang on to beat...
Sep 18Jake Trotter and Berry Tramel break down the Air Force...
Photoview all 65 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
"The next guy we put out there wouldn't have played anywhere close to what (nickel back) Tony (Jefferson) could," said defensive coordinator Brent Venables. "That's a spread option attack. It's not playing physical or setting the edge like we did against Stanford ...
"(Their offense) requires you to be very fast, very athletic. You have to (cover) a lot of wheel routes and play-action passes. You have to adjust to all their multiple formations and play in space extremely well. It requires you to be much more fleet of foot than it does strength."
NO SERIOUS INJURIES FOR SOONERS
Center Ben Habern cramped up and didn't play in the fourth quarter, needing an IV after the game. Tight end James Hanna suffered a hip pointer in the first quarter and did not return. Hanna will try to practice today. Defensive tackle Adrian Taylor played very few snaps as a precautionary move.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims