Casey Walker out another month; Austin Box, Roy Finch, Jamell Fleming expected back
The off week couldn't have come at a better time for the Sooners.
That's because OU is expected to get a host of previously injured players back on the field, including linebacker Austin Box, running backs Roy Finch and Brennan Clay and cornerback Jamell Fleming.
Videoview all videos
Oct 4The Oklahoman's Jenni Carlson and Jake Trotter talk about...
Photoview all 86 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
"It's a really good time to have it, simply to rest and regroup and get ready for the second half of the season," coach Bob Stoops said. "It works out well this year."
Both Box and Finch have been out since August. Finch suffered a hairline ankle fracture during a preseason scrimmage. Box has been recovering from a nagging disc issue in his back.
Clay (concussion) and Fleming (ankle) were cleared to play against Texas, but weren't quite ready. They should be good to go after the bye.
The only player injured this year who won't be back for awhile is defensive tackle Casey Walker, who suffered a sprained knee two weeks ago at Cincinnati.
"Everyone would have been ready to go this week except Casey," Stoops said. "Casey has at least four weeks coming."
OU-IOWA STATE TO KICK OFF AT 6 P.M.
The Sooners' Oct. 16 home game against Iowa State will kick off at 6 p.m. and be televised by Fox Sports Net.
Iowa State (3-2, 1-1 Big 12) plays No. 10-ranked Utah this week.
SOONERS TO GET DAYS OFF
OU will practice today, Wednesday then early Thursday before taking the rest of the week off. After the break, the Sooners will resume their normal practice schedule next Monday.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in