James Anderson: It's a "privilege" to start pro career in San Antonio
Former OSU guard James Anderson is comfortable in San Antonio as he begins his pro career.
SAN ANTONIO — James Anderson sits sandwiched between two of the NBA's best guards inside San Antonio's dimly-lit locker room at the AT&T Center. Tony Parker's black swivel chair is stationed to Anderson's left. George Hill parks it immediately to Anderson's right.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Three cubicles down is future Hall of Famer Tim Duncan.
For Anderson, the former star at Oklahoma State, there is not a better place to begin his professional journey.
"It's a big relief," Anderson said before Monday's exhibition against the Thunder. "It's such a great organization. You really don't have any pressure on your back. You can just play and learn the game."
Since the Spurs selected Anderson 20th overall in June, the reigning Big 12 Player of the Year has been busy doing nothing but learning. The biggest adjustment thus far, Anderson said, has been familiarizing himself with so much more terminology and so many more schemes that require his full focus.
It didn't help Anderson that he missed the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas because of a hamstring injury. But he's shown his promise early this preseason, entering Monday's game averaging 5.8 points, 1.8 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 18.8 minutes through four preseason games.
"Everybody's been a great help," Anderson said. "All the vets are teaching me stuff here and there about where to be and when to be there. It's just a lot of little stuff that I need to know and pick up on."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 96583Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17286OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13078Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8797Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8670Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8388How to help tornado victims
- 7627Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort