Police identify slain northwest Oklahoma City woman
Police went to a house in northwest Oklahoma City late Tuesday after a woman's body was found. Police said it is being investigated as a homicide.
Police identified Julie Mitchell, 34, as the woman who was found dead Tuesday night inside her northwest Oklahoma City home.
Oklahoma City police Master Sgt. Gary Knight said Mitchell's death is being investigated as a homicide.
NewsOK Related Articles
Homicide detectives and crime scene units were outside the house Wednesday morning at 640 NW 150 where yellow tape cordoned off the acreage just east of N Western Avenue. Police were called to the scene about 10:20 p.m. Tuesday for what was initially reported as an attempted suicide.
Mitchell had trauma to her body, Knight said, but he would not elaborate. He said Mitchell's stepson called police.
The state medical examiner had not yet determined the cause or manner of Mitchell's death late this afternoon, spokeswoman Cherokee Ballard said.
The house is just west of Longford Way on the south side of NW 150.
Mitchell's "small" child was taken to a hospital as a precaution but was unharmed and released to a relative, Knight said. He didn't know the child's age or gender.
Knight said Mitchell was married, but he didn't know if the husband or anyone else was home at the time of Mitchell's death or if police had interviewed her husband.
Knight said police do not have any suspect information.
Oklahoma County Assessor records show Teddy D. Mitchell, 56, purchased the house in 2002. It is not clear how Teddy Mitchell is related to Julie Mitchell.
Police ask anyone with information to call the homicide tip line at 297-1200. Callers may remain anonymous and may be eligible for a cash reward.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 54680Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 35701Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32594Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8907Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 8388Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 5554Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4146OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins