Big red ball perfect for great big elephants
There's a little red ball that can be seen on the Elephant Cam nearly all the time. Turns out, that little red ball is actually pretty big.
The little red ball in the middle of the elephant barn at the Oklahoma City Zoo is actually a big, heavy piece of drilling equipment that makes a great elephant toy.
Videoview all videos
Nov 23Check out the elephant toys and find out why these...
Nov 20Pachyderm keeper Dorothy Foreman talks about one of the...
Nov 20Zoo Director Dwight Scott talks about the importance of...
Nov 20An elephant pedicure? Find out why these ladies are...
Nov 20Pachyderm trainers talk about how they train Asha &...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The pipe pig weighs about 200 to 300 pounds and is a great toy for Asian elephants Asha and Chandra, pachyderm keeper Dorothy Forman said.
â€œBecause they're as big as they are and as strong as they are, they need big, strong toys,â€ Forman said.
Most ball toys for elephants are easy to pop, Forman said. Some only last a few minutes; one elephant stomp can waste all the money spent on the toy.
But the dense drilling ball is too thick and heavy for the elephants to smash, Forman said. They can push it, kick it and even put thousands of pounds of weight on it, and the big red ball stands up to the elephant-size force.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 96630Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13870Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9391Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8546Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 8291OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 7627How to help tornado victims
- 7193Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges