Big plays carry Douglass past Oologah
Following a first half full of plodding offenses, costly turnovers and all-around ugly football, Douglass broke out a big-play party.
In a four-minute span starting late in the third quarter, a 14-3 slugfest quickly turned into a 41-3 Douglass blowout of Oologah on Friday night at Moses F. Miller Stadium, sending the third-ranked Trojans to next week's Class 4A semifinals.
Videoview all videos
Nov 20Heritage Hall's Quintaz Struble talks about the 34-0 win...
Photoview all 28 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
In those four minutes, the Trojans (10-2) returned a blocked field goal and interception for touchdowns to go with a pair of long TD runs, erasing memories of the four first-half turnovers that put pressure on Dougalss' stout defense.
Through nearly three quarters, it appeared the team that fought hardest for its yardage would survive and advance, until Douglass senior Marcus Caddell lit the fuse on the Trojan explosion.
Caddell came through untouched to block a 30-yard Oologah field goal try, then picked up the bouncing ball and ran 75 yards for a touchdown to put Douglass on top 21-7 with 2:58 left in the third quarter.
â€œI just figured if I blocked the kick, I could change the momentum,â€ Caddell said. â€œWe played a little dead in the first half and had to pick it up in the second half.â€
Oologah went right back down the field until Douglass defensive end Devante McKinney intercepted a fourth-and-7 screen pass at the Trojan 15 and picked up a couple of key blocks on his way to the end zone.
Running backs Aliston Cobb and Diontay Washington added TD runs on the next two possessions to slam the door on the Mustangs (10-2).
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 81708Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16515OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12409Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12217Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12064Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 10403Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 9163How to help tornado victims